Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud To Be An American


Just ten years ago, in June 1998, James Byrd Jr., an African American, was dragged to his death by three white men in Texas. Worse, the three assholes who perpetrated this heinous crime dumped Byrd’s mutilated remains in a black cemetery and then went to a barbecue.


I remember hearing about this when it happened and thinking “Man, is our country that shitty where someone can get dragged to his death merely because of the color of his skin?”


Hey, it was not the white Jewish liberal guilt that my mom always instilled in me – I have voted republican more times than my mom would like (not for Dubya, though) – but it was that I think that I have a semblance of decency in me so that I can look beyond the color of someone’s skin in judging them. I mean, let’s face it, there are assholes and idiots of all colors around not only this country but in this world.


The results of last night’s election doesn’t make me forget James Byrd but it makes me proud to be an American.


When Barack Obama made the keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention, I said to myself that this was a young man to watch (an aside – I am only two years older than him but he just seems younger).


It was expected when he declared his candidacy. I had hope back then but low expectations. Even before the economy went into the shitter the country wanted change; however, I did not think that the country would embrace Barack Obama.


What was unexpected was in January 2008 when “the black guy” trounced “the white lady” in the overwhelmingly white state of Iowa. Even cynics like me, who believe that all politics are the same, had to sit up and take notice.


As the divisive battle for the democratic nomination waged I remained amazed at Obama’s resiliency and his fortitude. His speech on race in March of this year won me over. His initial reluctance to give up his friend Jeremiah Wright gave way to a realization that his friend was wrong and he did not embrace what the man said. He even gave the man a chance to heal the wounds but the man became divisive.

In politics, I thought friends stay with friends by “spinning the truth”. Obama did not.


As Obama and Clinton fought on, my ceiling was set at the expectation of “how great would it be if we had our first African American presidential candidate.”


Never in my wildest dreams did I think he would be elected President. That was just too much to ask.


Now, I should point out that my choice for president was not made until after Labor Day.


I think John McCain is a decent and honorable man (and I hope Barack Obama asks him to be Secretary of State – I think his views ought to be listened to by an Obama administration).


But I could not vote for John McCain because of Sarah Palin. People are going to pick over the bones of McCain’s campaign to see what caused him to lose – for me, that was the reason. And I think that her presence on the ticket created the month of negative campaigning that John McCain engaged in.


So I dug in and supported Obama – never expecting last night’s outcome.


I spoke to a friend of mine, an ardent McCain supporter (because of issues like homeland security and taxes, not race) who called me at 10 o’clock last night. And while he was ready to throw in the towel after the devastating loss in Ohio, he did say that this win was “a good one” for America.


Last night our President – elect, echoing my friend, said “This victory belongs to you.”


How right both Obama and my friend are.


5 comments:

GumbyTheCat said...

Nicely done, and of course I agree about Palin. My initial enthusiasm about her selection (totally unexpected = intriguing) was flushed down the toilet as soon as I researched her. The only way she belongs anywhere near the White House is as part of a tour group.

Eugene said...

Well since I'm not American I can't make too many comments about the candidates but I must admit, when I listened to Obama's acceptance speech I got a lump in my throat. He even had me believing that "Yes we can" - say what you want but it has to be nice to have an eloquent President in office again!

Going to miss the Palin jokes though...

Holysmokes said...

Thanks, Eugene.

But cheer up....I don't think we are going to be hearing the end of Palin jokes any time soon.

They are too good to pass up.

Eugene said...

Clearly I was mistaken, the knives are out now. Now even Fox news is turning their backs on her and joining in the slaughter:

Sarah Palin didnt know Africa was a Continent

Holysmokes said...

I just heard the Africa comment on CNN

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template